Monday, October 15, 2012

Thompson Park Day


Yesterday, My wife, daughter and I went to Thompson Park day. Thompson Park is the Monmouth County park in Lincroft, NJ where I do most of my kayak fishing.We have also been to the off leash dog area and rode our bikes on the paved trails. Although I have been to the park numerous times, there is so much of the park I never knew existed.

I was expecting a small exhibit with a few things for kids. I was blown away by what they offered.  There were 2 inflatable slides, one for bigger kids and one for little kids. There were a couple of rides, a video game trailer, face painting, pumpkin painting, scarecrow building contest (although i thought the $15 fee was a little high) and a small mini golf set up.

If you got hungry walking around with the kids, there were many food vendors selling the usual carnival fare; cotton candy, pretzels, sausage sandwiches, cheese fries etc. And the prices weren't too bad.

Marlu lake, the park lake, was a little too far to walk to so they provided a shuttle bus for anyone wanting to go canoeing. We jumped aboard and took the ride. I fully expected to pay, as they rent canoes for an hourly rate. When we got to the lake I found out it was free. My nephew was with us and I knew that he wanted to go and wasn't sure about my daughter, but at the last second she said yes. They handed us each a life vest and paddle, loaded us into the canoe and off we went. As I have been out on the water many time in my kayak, it was a different experience in a canoe. Although we had a blast canoeing the lake, I do prefer a kayak. But, my daughter really enjoyed it so purchasing a canoe down the road will always be an option.

After we took the shuttle back to the main area, we did the corn maze. I must admit, this wasn't one of the better corn mazes I have done. It was geared more toward younger kids, not 71/2 year olds. once finished with the corn maze we had to pick up the pumpkins my daughter and nephew painted. Then it was time to call it a day.

We all had a great time and were glad we went. I forgot my camera and I was looking forward to taking  lot of pictures while walking around. It looks like I will have another chance next year as we decided to make it a tradition and go every year. My only regret, that we didn't start this new tradition a few years ago.

No comments: